Saturday, April 21, 2012

I'm Coming Home!

Yeah, it has been a while. Sorry about that. All I can really say is life has been pretty low key lately with lots of thesis work. But I do have some pretty exciting news, tomorrow, well tomorrow I'm coming home!!!!

Before the state of Mississippi erupts in cheer (just a lil joke), I'm coming home-TWICE. First, I'm literally getting on a plane tomorrow to fly back to Mississippi for a week! This is a very last minute trip and means that I will be spending next Saturday at one of the greatest days of the year, Double Decker. Hope to see y'all there!

But the real reason for the trip also helps explain how I'm coming home in another way. I am flying home to take the Praxis, the test I need to become a certified teacher in Mississippi. I'm excited and proud (and a little bit nervous) to share that I am a part of the 2012 class of Mississippi Teacher Corps! So come end of May, I'm packing up my Irish bags (hopefully with a finished thesis in there somewhere) and flying home, for good. Well, for at least two years. I got this awesome news from MTC two weeks ago but I wanted to wait and share until I had a school placement. The weight got too much to bear, because I still don't have that part to share with you. But it should be developing any day now and if I run into you over Double Decker, hopefully I will be able to tell you where I will be teaching within the state!

I know that I have a challenging two years ahead, but I'm ecstatic to meet those challenges head on! Now I'm having trouble sleeping because I keep having these dreams about what my classroom is going to look like. I don't know why I've fixated on this particular part of teaching, but I keep having these dreams where there are cheesy "DREAM" and "ACHIEVE" posters covered with Michael Jordan floating around. The life of a first year teacher...oh the things to come!

In other random news, I spent yesterday at a Benedictine Abbey. Glenstal Abbey is set in Co. Limerick, almost in the center of the island of Ireland. Not that I have really spent much time at Benedictine Abbeys but this was far from what I expected. Let's just say if I were to ever become a monk, I want to join these guys. We spent the whole day with some of the funniest old men I've ever been around. Men, who take their faith and scholarship very seriously. Yet men who are able to approach all of life with a calm, and humor that is too often missing in our busy lives. It was just really really neat stuff and I woke up this morning feeling blessed to have spent the day with them and to turn around tomorrow to spend a few days in Mississippi.

So Y'all I'm coming home. It has been quite a journey, and it isn't finished yet. Thanks for reading about all of it along the way! Hope to see you at Double Decker!

Cheers Y'all!
 Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment