American French Fries=Irish Chips
American Potato Chips=Irish Crisps
Just so we are all on the same page. I knew the difference
or similarity in fries and chips but it took me a few days to catch the
similarity in chips and crisps. I hope that didn’t just confuse anyone even
more…
Fish and chips are a really popular food, especially within
the UK, and with the link between Ireland and the UK it is no surprise that it
has also become really popular within Ireland.
Last weekend I got to go to what many claim as the best fish
and chips, or in slang “one and one”, in all of Dublin. Leo Burdock’s is just a counter with a
line wrapped around the corner. Your options at Leo Burdock’s include Cod or
Haddock and really that’s about it.
I chose the Cod, feeling for some reason that it was more
traditional?
I also had my fries, I mean chips, covered in vinegar and
salt, which is common for chips across Ireland.
The men behind the counter wrap up your food in a brown
paper package and you are out the door almost as soon as you walked in. Then
it's up to you to figure out just where to eat your heap of fried heaven.
My Mississippi vernacular would immediately associate fried
fish with catfish in a cornmeal like batter. The cod from Leo Burdock’s, and
most versions of the fish in fish and chips, are covered in something closer to
a beer batter. It's more like an onion ring batter than a piece of catfish.
But it sure was delicious...(notice the grease)
The only problem with the best fish and chips in Dublin is
that you get so much food you should split it between several people (fish and
chips were often known as a working class food, so lots of food for little
money makes sense). It is also greasy (kind of like a normal day at KD Fried
Friday) so you are left feeling really full and in desperate need of a place to
wash your hands, face and maybe lap from where you set the brown package. But
it’s all in the experience. And a
worthwhile one all-together.
Cheers!
Chelsea
PS. After Leo's we went for a quick walking tour of the Jameson Distillery. It was a free tour as part of Dublin's Culture Night where events were offered across the city. The tour is of the old distillery, which they have turned into a museum. I think it would have been more interesting if they were still making whiskey there. But it was a fun night!
No comments:
Post a Comment