Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Weekend Update


Let me just start with this, I’ve been loving my life lately. Really really loving it.

I enjoy my course and am learning a lot but I don’t find it academically overwhelming so I’m left with lots of free time to learn about other topics on my own, spend time with friends and travel. I just don’t think my life could get much better. (the one thing that could happen is I could transplant all my good friends and loving family from home over to Ireland) I guess I just wanted to put a formal statement out into the world wide web to let everyone know how much fun I’m having and how grateful I am to be here.

Now on to my weekend update. Last weekend I got to spend the second weekend in a row with all the other Mitchell scholars. I feel confident that if you put all 12 of us in a room for an extended period with no other distractions we would have a blast. But we’ve never been put in that situation because the Alliance has kept us busy with fun activities the past two weekends.

I think this weekend took the cake. On Friday we had another great day of meals while we talked with several different people about Irish politics and culture. After our day of discussion we got ready for our formal welcome to Ireland (I like to think of it as my Irish debutante) at the US Ambassador’s home in Dublin.

The Ambassador (Dan Rooney-owner of the Steelers) was not in town but he lent his home in Phoenix Park.  Phoenix Park is a huge piece of property in the middle of Dublin that is kind of likeCentral Park except the park is surrounded by walls and there is a heard of deer roaming around.  The only homes in Phoenix Park are the President of Ireland’s and the US Ambassador’s (say much about our relationship?).  

And to add in a nice Catholic fact, Phoenix Park is home to a huge cross. The cross was put up when Pope John Paul II came to Ireland to conduct mass in 1979. It is estimated that over 1 million people attended the open air mass in the park.  To put it into perspective the Republic of Ireland is only about 4 million people…

At the party we were introduced as a class to several dozen supporters of the US-Ireland Alliance from all over the country and from all walks of life. I spent the majority of the party talking with a woman from Cork who loved white wine and my southern accent.  And I equally loved her love for white wine and her accent.

After the Ambassador’s home we all got pizza at a place near the hotel. For those who could manage to wake up, we boarded a bus early the next morning and traveled to Glendalough in Co. Wicklow for a hike above Glendalough Valley.

I was terrified of the hike. I had a traumatic experience one summer on a Lott Institute trip in South Korea. Our Korean tour guide made it seem like we were going for a leisurely nature walk, and after several hours we had ascended a mountain and were all on the verge of death (a lot of the near death feeling had to do with some underage American, legal Korean drinking done the night before).  I just kept having awful flash backs to the hike in Korea and thought this might turn out the same. While the Glendalough hike was not as simple as a nature walk, I think I was better prepared physically than for the one in Korea and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed spending the day outside hiking on trails and climbing over rocks. After about a 4 hour hike, we made it back to the bus and headed for a quick lunch.

the start of the trail. most of the trail is made from old piece of railroad and you start out with 600 steps


view from the top. it felt a little higher than it looks



cheesy tourist shot in the valley


 When we got back to Dublin we changed for a concert on Saturday night at the Olympia Theater with James Vincent McMorrow. McMorrow sounded a lot like Brett Dennen for any reader out there who might be a Dennen listener. I was surprised at how much McMorrow came alive as the night progressed. It was obvious that on his first song he was nervous but as the show went on and his glass of red wine emptied, he began to connect with the audience and most of the us walked away as a fans. He was also endearing as he repeatedly told the audience how much it meant to him to be playing back to back sold out shows in his favorite hometown music venue. Check him out. I like him better live than his recordings, so if you ever get a chance to see him, do so.


We ended the weekend with our now traditional few hour-long breakfast. After that I was back to Maynooth to finish up some homework and get ready for another week of reading, discussion, learning, and travel.  

More blog posts coming tomorrow
cheers,
 Chelsea 

No comments:

Post a Comment